The spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner looking to immigrate to Canada under spousal sponsorship category must be sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. If you applied to sponsor spouse outside Canada, once decision is made and sponsorship application is approved, Canadian immigration authorities will issue the applicant Canada Spouse Visa (a confirmation of permanent residence).

If you are looking to apply for spousal sponsorship inside Canada, application is being processed first and once approved, applicant’s status will change from temporary to permanent. Spousal sponsorship within Canada gives an opportunity to person being sponsored and living in Canada to apply for an Open-Work Permit.

Spousal Sponsorship

A spouse can be sponsored to enter Canada for permanent residence through a Canadian Consulate overseas. This application, which also applies to common law and same-sex relationships, requires a sponsor who files a sponsorship application, an application for permanent residence by the would-be immigrant and some regional-specific work. As mentioned, it begins with a Canadian sponsor filing an application for the foreign spouse to come to Canada with the Mississauga office of Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada. Once the sponsor is approved, the file goes overseas to process the foreign spouse. That spouse must go through a medical and police clearance as well as a security check before he or she can be approved for entry into Canada.

You may be eligible to sponsor a spouse or a common-law or conjugal partner or dependent children living outside of Canada if:

  • The person you want to sponsor is a member of the family class. If he or she is not, you will not to be able to sponsor them.
  • You are 18 years of age or older;
  • You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
  • You reside in Canada.
  • If you are a Canadian citizen not residing in Canada, you may sponsor your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner and/or dependent children who have no dependent children of their own. You must demonstrate that you will live in Canada once they become a permanent resident.
  • You sign an undertaking promising to provide for the basic requirements of the person being sponsored and, if applicable, their dependent children.
  • You and the person being sponsored sign an agreement that confirms that each of you understands your mutual obligations and responsibilities.